top of page

The End Was Only The Beginning

Chapter 1

The   Month   the   Earth   Stood   Still

February  2015

The  date  was  Friday,  February  20,  2015,  one  I  will  never forget.  It  was  a  quintessential  Southern  California  Friday in  Los  Angeles.  The  sky  was  

crystal  blue,  and  I  was  on  my way  to  meet  a  longtime  friend,  Tom  

Arcuragi.  He  suggested we  meet  at  AGO,  a  popular  Italian  restaurant  in West Hollywood.  I  had  arrived  in  Los  Angeles  the  day  before  and

spent  the  night  in  Santa  Monica,  not  far  from  the  area  where I  had  lived  three  decades  before.


I  got  to  AGO  just  before  noon,  eager  to  see  Tom  and catch  up  (he  had  

moved  from  Atlanta  to  LA  years  earlier  and stayed).  Tom  was  already  in the  restaurant  sipping  his  usual Campari  and  soda,  and  we  took  a  table  

on  the  patio  and  dove into  deep  conversation.  Just  as  we  began,  my  

mobile  phone buzzed  and  I  saw  the  caller  was  my  ex-wife  Jan,  the  

mother of  my  two  sons.  I  decided  to  take  it,  excusing  myself  for  a



Jan  asked  if  I  had  recently  heard  from  our  younger son  Matthew.  She  

was concerned  she  couldn’t  get  in  touch with  him,  since  they  stayed  in 

constant  contact.  (She  lives in  South  Florida,  and Matt  had  recently  

moved  back  to Atlanta.)  She  also  told  me  that  he  had  never  arrived  at  

work on  Friday,  and  she  felt  something  was  wrong.  I  told  her  that

I  would  try  to  call  Matt  after  lunch  and  asked  her  to  keep  me posted.


As  worried  as  I  was,  Tom  and  I  enjoyed  our  meal  and talked  nonstop  

for  two  hours.  As  we  finished  lunch  and  I  was retrieving  my  rental  car,  

the  phone  rang  again.  It  was  Jan,  in tears.  Through  her  pain  and  grief,  

she  told  me  that  Matt  was gone.


Shocked  and  numb,  I  asked  her  what  happened.  Jan told  me  that  Matt’s  

landlord  had  called  to  break  the  news that  he  had  discovered  Matt  on  

the floor  of  his  bedroom  fully clothed  and  not  breathing.  My  mind  raced  with questions and  my  heart  broke.


Matt,  a  certified  jeweler  who  loved  rare  stones,  was 31  years  old.  He  had recently  found  his  “dream  job”  (his  own words)  and  was  thrilled  to  be  

working  in  his  chosen  field  for a  well-established  and  venerable  Atlanta  

company.  Less  than 24  hours  earlier  he  had  texted  his  mother  to  tell  her  he  was so  happy  with  his  new  job  that  he  loved  getting  up  every  day

and  going  to  work;  he  also  said  he  could  see  himself  there  in five  or  ten years.  His  employer  seemed  delighted  with  him, and  Matt  was  thrilled  

with  the  company.


Jan  was  unclear  on  the  details  of  Matt’s  death  because she  was  in  Floridaand  had  spoken  only  briefly  to  the  Atlanta landlord.  Apparently  he  had  

opened  the  apartment  door  to an  electrician  who  had  come  to  make  

repairs  in  Matt’s  unit, and  when  they  went  in  they  found  Matt  



Stunned,  I  sat  alone  in  the  rental  car  in  Los  Angeles, a  place  where  Matt  had  spent  the  first  two  years  of  his  life. I  had  moved  my  family  to  

California  soon  after  Matt  was born  in  June  1983  so  I  could  work  on  the  1984  Los  Angeles Olympics,  and  we  enjoyed  two  wonderful  years  there.


Once  I  faced  the  brutal  reality  of  Matt’s  untimely passing,  I  reached  out  

to  Mary  Alice  —  my  wife,  my  best friend,  my  ally.  Cool  under  fire,  

Mary Alice  always  took  a wise,  practical  approach  to  any  crisis,  no  matter  how  difficult. When  I  tried  to  talk  with  her  about  Matt  she  seemed  

distant and  aloof,  and  her  reluctance  to  connect  with  me  about  this life-altering  event  made  my  sadness  even  more  devastating.


I  returned  to  my  hotel  room  eager  to  hear  from  Jan and  get  more  

information.  The  medical  examiner  had  Matt’s body,  and  it  would  take  a  

couple  of  days  to  complete  the autopsy.  It  was  so  sad  to  think  of  my  sonlying  on  a  gurney in  a  cold  morgue  as  a  pathologist  measured  his  body  

and weighed  his  organs.


Jan  and  I  agreed  to  have  our  son  cremated,  and  we both  made  plans  to  

travel  to  Atlanta  as  soon  as  possible. Continued  attempts  to  reach  

Mary  Alice  proved  futile,  and my  inability  to  communicate  with  her  

during  this  painful  and sorrowful  time  was  extremely  frustrating.


Once  the  medical  examiner  released  the  body,  Jan and  I  agreed  to  have  

Matt’s  remains  driven  to  a  funeral  home in  Griffin,  Georgia,  Jan’s  

hometown.  His  ashes  would  be buried  in  the  family  plot  in  Griffin,  

where Jan’s  parents  were interred.


My  repeated  attempts  to  connect  with  Mary  Alice were  futile.  When  she  

finally  responded,  she  told  me  very clearly,  “I  cannot  help  you  with  this  

situation.  You  have  to walk  this  path  alone,  John.  There  is  really  nothing  I can  do  to help  you  through  this.”


I  was  surprised  and  disappointed  to  hear  these  words coming  from  my  

wife,  not  understanding  why  she  was  so detached  during  this  difficult,  

painful  time.  Yet  it  was  clear that  this  was  my  path  to  walk  alone,  

despite the  fact  that Mary  Alice  and  Matt  had  been  very  close.  Mary  Alice

was  like a  second  mom  to  Matt,  especially  once  he  lived  with  us  after hismother  moved  to  South  Florida  and  remarried.  John Paul,  Matthew’s  

older brother,  was  as  distraught  as  the  rest of  us,  and  could  make  no  

sense  of  Matt’s  death  as  he  and  his wife  grieved.


Two  days  had  passed,  and  meditation,  prayer  and exercise  allowed  me  to begin  to  face  the  reality  that  my beautiful,  sweet  son  was  gone.  I  went  

for a  long  walk  on Santa  Monica  Beach  —  a  place  where,  on  so  many  

evenings 31  years  earlier,  Matthew  and  his  brother  had  crawled  in  the

sand  as  Jan  and  I  drank  cocktails  and  watched  the  sun  sink slowly  into  

the  Pacific  Ocean.


Still,  Mary  Alice  remained  remote,  leaving  me  to deal  with  the  feelings  

deep inside  my  mind  and  soul  on  my own.  Her  message  was  clear  and  

concise:  “You  have  to  walk this  path  alone.  You  will  find  the  answers  

inside  yourself.  I cannot  help  you  with  this.”


Mary  Alice  was  always  communicative  and  had  a solution  for  every  

problem,  so  her  silence  confused  me  to  no end.  But  I  worked  through  thepain  by  myself,  and  stopped trying  to  convince  her  to  talk  with  me  aboutMatthew.  Still my  sense  of  “aloneness”  was  disconcerting  until  I  finally

came  to  embrace  it.


At  the  graveside  service  in  Griffin  on  February  24,  the weather  was  

cloudy,  cold  and  dreary,  with  a  bit  of  drizzle  in the  air.  Overcoats  and  

boots  were  the  order  of  the  day,  and the  mood  inside  the  tent  was  

somber.  Tears  flowed  freely as  the  cold  reality  of  our  collective  loss  was  

underlined by  Matt’s  remains  ensconced  peacefully  in  an  urn  atop  a

pedestal  near  his  final  resting  place.


Presiding  over  the  brief,  private  memorial  service  was a  longtime  friend,  

Reverend  Lang  Lowrey,  who  had  known Matt  since  he  was  two  years  

old;  also  present  was  Lang’s son,  Pierce.  While  going  through  Matt’s  

belongings,  John Paul  had  found  a  bowl  full  of  smooth  river  rocks  

inscribed with  inspirational  words.  He  put  the  stones  in  a  basket,  and

at  the  end  of  the  service  each  attendee  was  allowed  to  take  astone  and  

place  it  on  the  box  containing  the  urn.  The  stone  I randomly  pulled  out  of  the  basket  said  simply,  “PEACE.”  The stones  would  be  buried  with  

Matt’s  earthly  remains.


Mary  Alice  remained  quiet  and  stoic.  Was  this  her  way of  contending  

with  her  grief?  Was  she  simply  keeping  a  cap on  her  emotions  because  

Matt  was  my  son  from  a  previous marriage?  Questions  flowed  through  

my  heart  and  mind,  but it  was  clear  that  life  would  go  on  in  spite  of  the loss  of  my son.



I  then  tried  to  focus  on  lessons  to  be  learned  from  Matthew’s death.  

Prayer,  meditation  and  reflection  combined  with the  reliving  of  memories  —  recollections  of  moments  with my  son  and  his  brother  and  their  

mother.  Embracing my  solitude,  I  tried  my  best  to  find  answers  to  the  

many questions  that  persisted.  And  still,  Mary  Alice  remained aloof.  


I  cleared  my  calendar  of  all  meetings,  dinners  and appointments  for  the  

next  several  days,  and  after  deep  soul-searching  and  solitude  had  a  

“eureka”  moment.  I  suddenly realized  there  was  truly  a  message  in  

Matthew’s  death,  and it  became  clear  that  my  recently  declared  mission  in life was  being  amplified  by  the  loss  of  my  son.  Helping  others  is

something  I  had  committed  myself  to  long  ago.  As  a  member of  various  

charity  boards,  I’ve  volunteered  many  hours  to benefit  more  than  a  few  

organizations  and  their  constituents. The  lesson  I  came  to  was  loud  and  

clear:  Stay  on  my  spiritual path.  Seek  higher  levels  of  enlightenment.  

Enhance  and amplify  my  commitment  to  helping  others,  using  Matt’s

death  as  the  exclamation  point  for  a  transformational  life lesson  —  one  

that  will  bring  comfort  and  hope  to  anyone  who may  have  weathered  a  

similar  tragedy.


Once  I  arrived  at  these  life-altering  conclusions  I made  them  known  to  

Mary  Alice.  She  was  delighted  with  myrevelations...  and  while  she  didn’t exactly  say.  “I  told  you  so,” she  reopened  the  lines  of  communication.  I  

acknowledged her  decision  and  told  her  that  she  was  absolutely  right:  I  

did need  to  walk  the  path  alone.  I  did  need  to  seek  the  answers within  



Once  I  saw  the  light,  my  dialogue  with  my  wonderful wife  reverted  to  

the  energetic  level  we  had  enjoyed  before Matt  died.  Weeks  and  months  

passed,  and  at  one  point  I  had almost  forgotten  that  Mary  Alice  herself  

had  passed  away nine  months  earlier,  on  June  5,  2014.  And  that  is  so  

because her  spirit  lives  on  and  guides  me  to  this  day.

Copyright 2016     John Bevilaqua
bottom of page